An old couple taking photos and admiring the view


Pensioner Separation of Relationship

Where under an order or agreement, a person becomes entitled to a portion of a pension, the person is only entitled to a division of the monthly pension in pay.

Separation of Relationship

A member’s pension or, if the pension has not commenced, the member’s or former member’s pension benefit credit may be divided if

(a) pursuant to an order of the Court of King’s Bench made under The Family Property Act, family assets of the member or former member or his or her spouse, former spouse or common-law partner are required to be divided;

(b) pursuant to a written agreement between the member or former member and his or her spouse, former spouse or common-law partner, their family assets are divided; or

(c) a division of the pension or the pension benefit credit, as the case may be, is required by

(i) an order of a court of competent jurisdiction in another province or territory of Canada, or

(ii) an order of the Court of King’s Bench regarding a common-law relationship.


The following options are applicable:

  • Equal division of benefits,
  • Net difference division of benefits if both are members of pension plans, or
  • Waive the division of benefits

Requesting a Statement

Either party or their legal counsel can request a statement of benefits. If someone other than the member makes the request, the information is automatically sent to the member.

In order for the CSSB to provide a statement for separation of relationship, a written request or e-mail is required with the following information or the attached form can be completed and returned to our office:

  • Member’s name and either employee number, PIN number or SIN,
  • Member’s date of birth,
  • Former spouse or partner’s name and birthdate,
  • Full date of marriage or co-habitation,
  • Full date of separation, and
  • Mailing address for all parties you would like the information sent to.

CSSB Relationship Breakup Calculation Request Form

The request can be mailed to the Civil Service Superannuation Board or e-mailed to